Wednesday, April 30, 2008

ZS8T - Marion Island



Here's one to keep an ear out for. As I've mentioned before, I haven't been very active since getting licenced, so if I can get ZS8T into the log that'll be my first QSO with Antarctica. Then all I'll need is Africa to get worked-all-continents. Okay, that may not be much to some of you more experienced hams, but it's a stepping stone. Actually, come to think of it, my logging software will think it's Africa anyway.

The DXpedition to Marion Island is being done by one man, Petrus ZS6GCM and he should be on air sometime early next week, possibly May 5th. It just happens to be our labour day holiday here in Queensland, what luck.

Although Petrus will be operating alone, he has plenty of support back home and I can't finish this blog without mentioning three of them. Christian DL6KAC, Col MM0NDX and Stan SQ8X have created one of the best looking DXpedition websites I've ever seen.

I might have to turn the Comet H-422 around this weekend. It's facing toward Japan at the moment and I'm yet to put it on a rotator. It does seem to have a bit of directivity on 20m, but I managed to work Calgary, Canada on 40m last week with it facing the way it is. We'll see.

73 de VK4VSP

Edit: I've just looked at the rules for the WAC and Antarctica doesn't count as a continent apparently. That kind of takes some of the challenge out of it.

No comments: