Monday, April 21, 2008

IC-7200

Now this is my kind of radio.



Not much news around at the moment, other than it will have 100w out and 80m-6m. It'll also probably cost more than I'm prepared to spend, or more correctly, my XYL will let me spend, especially with my upcoming unemployment.

Some of you will say you don't like the military styling and it won't have enough features. In fact, people are saying just that in the E-Ham forums. I like that rugged look, the fact that I can take it with me when I go away and the fact that it looks about the same size as my old IC-730. I think it would be an ideal replacement for the 730 come to think of it.

Guess I'll have to wait for a lottery win. In the mean time I'll be keeping an eye out for more information and posting here.

More pics are here on Lidio's blog.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Looks like a nice match to go with my CU-2194/URC VHF Diplexers. I wonder if it as tough as it looks?
If it lives up to the Icom claims and the price is not too far out of hand I would not mind having one to toss in the truck. I do not need a lot of fancy features.

Andy --W8NDY

Anonymous said...

I agree regarding features. There seems to be a lot of backlash against this radio, with some referring to it being marketed towards "Whackers".

The fact of the matter is, amateur radio is different things to different people. I don't contest, I don't use CW, I don't need broadcast-quality AM. I am perfectly capable of copying distorted audio. I need a radio that can take a beating, being thrown into a suitcase. DSP/NR/ANF/NB are all very useful, but I don't need a million bells and whistles. I don't need spectragraphs, heck, most of the time I don't even need a tuning dial. Simple radios that work are what I need.

If I could afford it, I'd personally go out and buy a Codan 2110. One can literally run a truck over them.

Some people forget that there are some people in the hobby that actually go out and do other things, and bring radio along for the ride. I work 60 hours a week in a data center. I don't always want to go home and sit indoors to play radio! A radio I can bring up to the Adirondacks while camping + throw in my suitcase when I get sent on business, that's what I need.

Simple, light, energy efficient, sturdy. That's what I want, and the 7200 is a step in that direction in the amateur market.

n.b. my current rig is an IC-718. 20a power supply at the house, 12V 17AH gel cell for the bag. LDG Z-100 tuner + Makeshift wire antenna everywhere.