Sunday, April 20, 2008

IRCs

After this year's CX WPX SSB contest I was writing out my QSL cards and using QRZ.com to find out where to send the cards, just in case some had QSL managers or wanted direct. A few said they only QSLed direct and request you send 2 IRCs. Some places seem more prone to this than others, Hawaii for one.

Now what's the deal here? An IRC costs $2.70 here in VK land They're even dearer in Canada. The most it costs to send a card anywhere internationally from here is $1.80. Doing a quick Google of post rates to Australia from countries such as the US, Canada, Hong Kong and Indonesia, they're all cheaper than Australia. So what are people doing with the extra coupon if I send two. They can't cash it in, as it can only be redeemed for postage stamps. Or can they, do you get change for the unused portion? I'm sure there are post offices somewhere that don't have a problem handing over cash instead of stamps for IRCs.

Some may be asking for two IRCs because they don't really want more QSL cards, which is understandable. They're kind of pricing themselves out of the market, because they don't want the business so to speak. I know of at least one ham that states in his QRZ listing that he doesn't collect QSL cards anymore, but that if you do and you've had a QSO with him, he's happy to send you one if you ask. No mention of money. That's more in the ham spirit.

I'll continue sending my cards via the buro and waiting for months to get replies the same way. Of course, if someone decides to send me a card directly I'll reply in kind, regardless of whether or not they enclosed postage.

What do other people think?

73 de VK4VSP

No comments: