Saturday, May 10, 2008

BARCfest

BARCfest was on today. Now, if you're reading this from Boulder, Colorado, you're probably thinking, no it wasn't.

I'm talking about the Brisbane Amateur Radio Club fest, not the Boulder one which is held in September apparently.

Anyway, I got there nice and early and met my brother Laurie VK4VCC. The idea was to snap up a few bargains, then meet up with the boys from the VK contest club (VKCC). We both took our cameras and intended taking a few pics for our blogs.

As you can see, there aren't any pictures. I could have taken some, but it would have just been the backs of people's heads. The place was packed.

The planned VKCC meeting didn't happen, at least not while we were there, but I did get to meet a few of the members anyway, including Eddie VK4AN and his son Raj, VK4FRAJ. Eddie and Raj are off to Fiji on Tuesday to compete in the CQ WPX CW contest and to just generally have a good time and play radios. They'll be operating as 3D2A (Eddie) and 3D2B (Raj).

Did I pick up any bargains? Well let's just say my wife didn't have anything to complain about when I got home, a pile of 12V gel cell batteries and a low pass filter for a grand total of $55. There were lots of things I was tempted to buy, but I managed to resist, this time.

No comments: