Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Mother Nature

Up until a couple of days ago, I used to have a Comet H-422 in V configuration as my main antenna.

When I say used to, I mean I still have the antenna, it's just it isn't in V configuration anymore. In fact, I'm not sure what configuration you'd call it at the moment, Sloping dipole?



Why does it look like that? I hear you ask. Well it wasn't the huge floods that we've had in the area, nor was it one of the cyclones we get around this time of year. In fact it's stood up pretty well to strong winds since I put it up.

What did this was a flock of well fed Sulphur Crested Cockatoos that all decided to perch on it at the same time.

An adult cocky weighs around 800 grams and there were at least four of them all on one arm of the antenna. Now 3.2 kg (about 7 lbs) might not sound like much, but when they land these birds tend to strut around a bit, which means they were bouncing up and down on the antenna.

Sometime in the next couple of weeks I'm going to have to pull the antenna down, find a way of bracing it where it's bent, then work out a way of strengthening it so it doesn't happen again. Perhaps some kind of non-conductive bracing between the two elements.

1 comment:

VE9KK said...

Mother nature has some very interesting ways to challenge our antenna setups.